Noise, Vibration and Harshness
One quick glance around a typical household reveals refrigerators to vacuum cleaners, washing machines to coffee machines, and more. To understand the mechanics of these appliances is important, but to realize how noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) affects their operation is critical.
NVH is an industry term associated with the treatment of vibration and audible sounds. Harshness usually refers to treatments of transient frequencies or shock; and noise denotes unwanted sound, but occasionally products are engineered to magnify sound and vibration at particular frequencies.
Vibration is undesirable and causes:
- energy waste
- creates unwanted sound (noise)
- increases wear to static and moving parts
What is Order Analysis?
It is the art and science of extracting sinusoidal contents of measurements from acousto-mechanical systems under periodic loading. The measurement is related to the revolutions, the rotational speed, and the harmonic orders of the rotating parts. Order analysis is used in:
- product testing
- simulation (sound quality)
At Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics, our R&D group is committed to understanding the ramifications of NVH and providing quality products to eliminate or lower the adverse affects created by NVH. Our high-technology equipment and processes allow us to simulate and predict product performance.
- Surface Profile Measurement Hommel Nanoscan
- Induced Vibration (laser and force transducer, vibration exciter, output)
- Hammer Testing (hammers, output)
- Self-Excited Vibration (accelerometer, securing, output)
- Noise (microphone, acoustic chamber description, acoustic chamber performance, results)
- Roundness Testing (Mitutoyo Round test machine)
» For more details on products for Noise, Vibration and Harshness benefits and uses please visit
Sales and Support
for regional contact information or Email Us directly with your enquiry.